Frequently Asked Questions About Our EMDR Courses


Course Requirements

Learn more about the minimum requirements to attend our EMDR Therapy Training Courses at EMDR Instruction.

Eligibility Requirements

Requirements for Eligibility are set forth by the EMDR International Association (EMDRIA). This is the governing body for EMDR that sets the standards for training and credentialing. It is similar to boards like the American Psychological Association, or the National Association of Social Workers. The course in EMDR is open to the following:

  • Psychologists
  • Psychiatrists
  • Psychiatric Nurses
  • Clinical Social Workers
  • Marriage & Family Therapists
  • Licensed Professional Counselors

PLEASE NOTE: In addition, art therapists, pastoral counselors, alcohol and drug counselors, and music therapists are also eligible. Lastly, students and interns may enroll as well.

Eligibility Requirements

Medical doctors must have specialized training in psychiatry.

Nurses must have a minimum of a Master of Science in nursing and must have specialized in psychiatric nursing. They also need to be licensed to practice in their state.

Mental health professionals must hold a doctorate or master degree—master’s degree in psychology, social work, counseling, or marriage, and family therapy. In addition, they must be licensed to practice in their state.

Those with degrees in art therapy, pastoral counseling, alcohol and drug counseling, or music therapy must submit their transcripts to EMDRIA for eligibility as well as a copy of the license to practice in their state.

Students and interns who are working towards their doctorate or master's degree in psychiatry, psychology, psychiatric nursing, counseling, social work, or marriage and family therapy must have completed their core graduate-level courses. Further, they must also be in their internship programs. They need to be eligible to work towards a license to practice and under the supervision of a licensed mental health professional.

Those in art therapy, pastoral counseling, alcohol and drug counseling, or music therapy must submit their graduate school transcripts to EMDRIA for eligibility. Students who wish to take the basic training course must submit the following documentation to EMDRIA: graduate transcripts, internship hours, resume, and a letter from their current clinical supervisor. That letter should also include the supervisor's degree and license information.